Cascade’s Delegates for The Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership Conference

Back to Article
Back to Article

HOBY delegates (l-r) are sophomores Grae Gould, Madison Wilson, Jessy Barger, and Bailee Jones.

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Wyatt Seely, Staff Writer

Every year, Cascade High School graduates a class full of young, talented people and sends them into the big world. These young men and young women have aspirations and dreams running through their heads and a life full of possibilities ahead of them; however, these newly graduated students need some leadership.

This is where Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY) comes in.

Cascade sophomores participate in an annual essay contest to decide who will become the school’s HOBY delegates and attend the state leadership conference.  This year, sophomores Madison Wilson and Bailee Jones will have the opportunity to attend HOBY on the campus of Carroll College in Helena.  Fellow sophomores Grae Gould and Jessy Barger have been selected as alternates should either Wilson or Jones be unable to attend.

The students of Cascade are lucky to have this program, and they owe it all to The Cascade Women’s Club, which generously covers room and board expenses for the deserving student to attend HOBY.

Each sophomore was required to write a 100-word essay in response to the following prompt: “How I exhibit leadership in my school and community”.  The essay were submitted, and the students’ names were removed from the essays so that the Women’s Club could judge them without any identifying information.

HOBY was founded in 1958. According to its own website, the mission of HOBY is to “inspire and develop our global community of youth and volunteers to a life of leadership, service, and innovation,” and HOBY conferences are hosted annually throughout the entire United States. HOBY gives students the chance to engage themselves in “unique leadership training, service-learning, and motivation-building exercises” and to give them the chance for a “lifelong dedication to improving the lives of others.”

As these students participate in the HOBY conference this year, we will all be hoping that they learn about the things that come with leadership and that the conference helps them in their later lives while they lead other individuals toward success.