The Ketochi

Badgers’ Weekend Full of Heroics, Heartbreak

Cascade's dramatic win in Power was followed by a big loss to rival Simms.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Wesley Hagan shoots a jump shot against the Heart Butte Warriors on December 22.

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Harlie Jackson, Staff Writer

During an intense basketball game, there is always the last few seconds of your heart racing with excitement and anxiety. During the Badgers boys basketball game against Power, the players left everyone’s heart pounding until the final buzzer.

Senior guard Preston Hagan capped off a 26-point effort with a dramatic three-point shot at the buzzer to give Cascade a triumphant 59-58 win over the Pirates last Thursday night.  Hagan hit five threes in the game and was the only Cascade starter still in the game after four of his teammates had been disqualified with five fouls apiece.

The Badgers led Power 50-36 after the third quarter as Hagan and junior guard Ryan Bogden combined to rain five three-point bombs on the Pirates, but one by one, Cascade starters Ty Tweten, Kolton Lynn, Bogden, and Wesley Hagan were forced to the bench in the fourth quarter.  Sophomore Reese Mortag, freshman Justin Smith, and eighth graders James Lewis and Trayden Tait joined Hagan on the floor as Power took advantage of the Badgers’ inexperience.

Power outscored Cascade 22-9 in the final quarter, but Hagan’s big shot was enough to secure the win for the Badgers.

“The boys played well with good ball movement and shooting in the first half,” said Cascade assistant coach Mike Moore.  “Power’s tight man-to-man defense got us out of sync in the second half, but the boys were composed late in the game to get a shot at the buzzer to win.  To finish the game with a sophomore, a freshman, and two eighth graders was quite an accomplishment.”

After the extraordinary win against Power, the Badgers hosted the Simms Tigers on Friday in a game of two halves.

Cascade played a strong first half both offensively and defensively, scoring 16 points in each quarter and holding the Tigers to only 21 points in the half. Senior forward Kolton Lynn scored 11 of his team-high 18 points in the half.

In the third quarter, however, the Badgers fell apart.  Bogden was whistled for a technical foul after slamming the ball to the floor following a foul call and didn’t return to the game.  Without the team’s main ballhandler, the Badgers struggled to handle the Tigers’ pressure.  Simms outscored the Badgers 27-12 in the third quarter and 25-9 in the fourth.  The Badgers lost all control of the game and dropped a 73-53 decision to Simms.

“We got a technical which took out one of our players and that made the confidence of our other players go down,” said head coach Roger Hatler.

The Badgers will try to bounce back from the loss to Simms when they host the Augusta Elks on Friday, January 11.  Cascade will then travel to Sunburst to face the Refiners on Saturday, January 12.

About the Writer
Harlie Jackson, Staff Writer

Harlie Jackson is one of the newest Ketochi staff members for the 2018-2019 school year. Harlie was born to Shane and Nichole Jackson on April 14, 2005. ...