Badgers Compete but Drop Games Against Central, Heart Butte

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshman Justin Smith passes the ball to a teammate in Cascade's 52-41 loss to Heart Butte on December 22.

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Harlie Jackson, Staff Writer

It is said that to succeed in life, you need to believe in yourself and you need to have a lot of confidence.

During the Cascade Badgers boys’ basketball games last weekend, they carried their skill with them through both of their games against Great Falls Central Catholic and Heart Butte, but they only brought a short supply of their confidence to the court.

Undefeated Great Falls Central visited Cascade last Thursday, and the Badgers showed that they can play with anyone in the district, at least in spurts.  The Mustangs jumped out to a 15-8 lead after the first quarter, but Cascade outscored the visitors 20-18 in the second quarter and only faced a 33-28 deficit at the half.

The third quarter turned out to be Cascade’s undoing.  Senior Noah Ambuel of GFCC scored nine of his team-high 18 points in the third quarter, and the Mustangs outscored the Badgers 18-4 as their five-point halftime lead ballooned to 19 by the end of the third quarter, 51-32.  Cascade tacked on another 20 points in the fourth quarter, but it was too late.  The Badgers dropped a 69-52 decision to the Mustangs.

Junior guard Ryan Bogden led Cascade with 16 points, followed by both Kolton Lynn and Ty Tweten added 10 each.

Cascade head coach Roger Hatler said, “Great Falls Central is a good team, number one in the conference. We had a bad [third] quarter, and we just needed to believe in ourselves and have confidence.”

On Saturday, December 22, the Badgers traveled to Heart Butte to face the Warriors in Cascade’s first road contest of the season.  During this game, the Badgers kept it close with District 10-C’s number two team and even took a 36-28 lead in the third quarter.  Unfortunately, Heart Butte finished the game on a 24-5 run and defeated the Badgers by the score of 52-41.

Senior Preston Hagan led Cascade with 13 points, while Bogden added 12 and Lynn 10.

The Badgers will have this weekend off but will be back in action on Thursday, January 3 when they travel to Power to face the Pirates.  Cascade will return home on January 4 to face Simms.