Lady Badgers Split with Central, Heart Butte

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Caybree Ludvigson brings the ball down the court in Cascade's big win over Heart Butte on December 22.

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Preslee Carroll, Staff Writer

This week the Lady Badgers faced the Great Falls Central Catholic Mustangs and the Heart Butte Warriors for some great basketball action before the holidays!

With Christmas right around the corner, the Lady Badgers played one game on their home court and one in Heart Butte.

On Thursday, the Badgers faced their one of their toughest antagonists the Great Falls Central Catholic Mustangs. The Lady Badgers varsity team also played the Mustangs on Thursday.

Central raced out to a 22-5 first-quarter lead and cruised into halftime with a 34-13 advantage over the home team.

In the second half, however, the Badgers showed some heart and challenged the visitors outscoring them 21-5 in the final period.  It wasn’t enough, however, and the Mustangs left Cascade with a 62-50 victory.  The Lady Badgers missed 29 free throws in the contest.

Senior guard Georgia Mortag led Cascade with 17 points, and sophomore Caybree Ludvigson added 11.

“The game didn’t start out as well as the girls and coaches wanted, but during the second half, we started to get more aggressive and attack,” said head coach Roger Hatler.  “This is what we wanted to do throughout the entire game.”

On Saturday, Cascade traveled to Heart Butte for a tilt against the Lady Warriors.  The ladies didn’t allow Heart Butte to get out to a big lead like Central did.  Instead, Cascade took a 22-14 lead at the end of one quarter, and a 40-25 lead into halftime.

A 19-8 third quarter blew the game open for the Lady Badgers and led to a 68-49 victory.

Junior Shelbie Jackson scored a career-high 19 points in the game, and Mortag added 17.  Sophomore Jessy Barger came off the bench to help Cascade with 10 big points.

The Lady Badgers will have one weekend off before heading to Power on January 3.  They will host Simms on January 4.