Lady Badgers Begin the Season 2-0

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Cascade sophomore Madison Wilson battles for a rebound in last weekend's win over Helena Christian.

Preslee Carroll, Staff Writer

The Cascade Lady Badgers basketball season is finally in full swing.

At Cascade’s annual Tip-Off Tournament, the Lady Badgers defeated Foothills Community Christian School of Great Falls by the score of 50-31 on Friday night and continued to roll on Saturday with a 57-16 victory over the Helena Christian Rams.

On Friday night, the Lady Badgers played Foothills.  After a slow start that resulted in a one-point halftime deficit for Cascade, the ladies had to work harder in the second half.  Senior guard Georgia Mortag scored 10 of her team-high 14 points in a huge 23-7 third quarter that put Cascade up 39-24 going into the fourth.  The Badgers finished the game with a final score of 50-31. Their work paid off!

Cascade did great for their second game of the season. Their antagonist was Helena Christian, and the Lady Badgers did great both first and second quarter. The halftime score was a winning score of 28-8. The Lady Badgers continued to play strong and finished the game with a score of 57-16.  Mortag again led Cascade in scoring with 15 points, and sophomore Madison Wilson finished with 14 in the win.

On the junior varsity side, Cascade lost both games at the Tip-Off Tournament.  Great Falls Home School defeated Cascade on Friday by the score of 48-42.  On Saturday, Foothills defeated the Lady Badgers by the score of 59-34.

Come and support your Badgers this weekend as Cascade hosts Valier on Friday and Dutton-Brady on Saturday. Both varsity games begin at 6 p.m.