HS and JH Cross Country Continue Strong Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Members of the junior high cross country team pose for a photo at the Townsend Invitational on October 17.

Photo courtesy Ken Brady

Photo courtesy Ken Brady

Photo courtesy Ken Brady

Ashley Tait, Editor-in-Chief

Cross country is one of the most physically demanding sports offered in schools across the nation.  Participants test themselves on an almost-daily basis to run three miles against stiff competition.

Cascade’s cross country program has a strong, successful tradition, and it looks as though there is great potential for the team to add to it.

Senior runner Kacie Cummings finished sixth among all Class C runners and 15th overall (classes AA, A, B, and C) in the Townsend cross country meet held on Saturday, October 17.  According to coach Ken Brady, Kacie “broke her best time for last year at this meet, which raises our hopes for this coming weekend at state.”

Cascade’s other high school runner, Mackenzie Wombold shaved a minute off of her three-mile time.

In the junior high division, Cascade’s trio of Shelton Hilkey, Harlie Jackson, and Ava McKamey placed the Lady Badgers in first place among Class C schools at the meet.  Eighth grader Hilkey finished in second place among Class C participants, fifth grader Jackson finished 31st, and McKamey finished in 38th place.

Fifth-grade boys Carter Casavant and Tristan Grimes finished 41st and 52nd, respectively.

The state cross country meet will be held this Saturday, October 24, at Eagle Falls Golf Course in Great Falls.  The action will begin at noon.