Annual Veterans Day Assembly Held

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Cascade's pre-kindergarten through third-grade students showed their patriotism at the Veterans Day assembly recently.

Chase LeVeque, Staff Writer

Perhaps more than any nation in the world, the United States of America is indebted to the men and women of America’s armed forces.

Veterans Day symbolizes one of the opportunities Americans have to pay tribute to those who are serving and have served.

Each year, Cascade School holds a Veterans Day assembly to remember all of our veterans, but in particular, those with ties to the Cascade area.  This year, the event was held on Monday, November 12, 2018 and organized by Cascade 7-12 principal Kevin Sukut.

During the assembly, the Boy Scouts presented the colors. Right after that, the Cascade choir sang The Star Spangled Banner. Then, Mr. Jay Fredrikson presented the history and statistics of Veterans Day. Next, Mr. John Wright presented the Pow/MIA Table. Reciting the Service Readings were sixth graders Sierra Sorenson, Madeline Schrecengost, Tyler Lane, Hal McGregor, and Ian McKamey.  The official song for each branch of service was sung by students in grades 4, 5, and 6.

Following those performances, there was a slideshow featuring Cascade Community Veterans and a special thanks to Erin Wombold, Jeff Skogley, and John O´Brien. Next was the Stars and Stripes Forever flag routine presented by the first-, second-, and third-grade students.

Veteran Don Rose received the Meritorious Award. Then, Chief Master Sergeant John O´Brien read the Meritorious Award Biography. Mr. Kevin Sukut gave the special recognition and thanks. Third-grade students Faith Dougherty, Will Ayers, and Isaac Snyder recited the Pledge of Allegiance, and Cascade music teacher Jeff Skogley played Taps.  Finally, the Boy Scouts retired the colors.

“The assembly is important because it teaches students every year about the previous history that our country has gone through,” said Sukut. ¨It is important to thank the veterans for all of their sacrifices to this country. They spend time at war over spending time with their friends and family.”

Thanks to all of the men and women who have served our country and protected our freedoms!