The Ketochi

Halloween Safety Tips

Halloween can be a lot of fun, but it's important to follow some safety precautions as well.

Internet Image

Internet Image

Zoe Mazaira, Staff Writer

Halloween may be a fun time, but it can be dangerous. Did you know that Halloween is one of the most dangerous nights for traffic accidents?  With kids trick or treating and parties going on, the roads can be very hectic. These four things can keep you stay safe on the freakiest day of the year.

Be Visible – If you’re out trick or treating or supervising trick or treaters, it’s best to be visible. That doesn’t mean that you completely wrap up in reflective tape, but you should at least carry something that can be seen by drivers.

Be Alert – This one can go for both trick or treaters and drivers. People should especially watch the little kids who, let’s face it, often go running across the street to the next house. Also, with Halloween adult parties going on, many of which include alcohol, there’s a chance that drivers aren’t focusing completely, and that could be deadly. Drivers, please be especially cautious around busy intersections.

Do Not Eat Candy – This can be hard, especially for kids. While rare there have been cases of sharp objects placed inside Halloween treats. This is unlikely to happen in Cascade, but it’s still best to avoid eating candy that you can’t fully see in the dim light.

Make Your Driveway Safe – If you are expecting trick or treaters, it’s best to make your driveway as clear as possible. Keep pumpkins at a distance away from where they could catch on costumes and make sure there’s a clear path from the road to your door. Keep decorations to the side of the path, and if you have hanging decorations, account for tall people.

Halloween is a fun time and in order for it to stay safe and harmless, we have to be careful, alert, and cautious.

About the Writer
Zoe Mazaira, Staff Writer

On April 11, 2005 in Oakhurst, California, Zoe Mazaira was born to her parents, Ricardo and Sonja Mazaira.

She moved to Montana last year and is starting...