Successful JH Football Season Comes to a Close

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Eighth-grade linebacker Connor Sawyer hits Fort Benton's quarterback during Cascade's 36-13 victory over the Longhorns.

Chase LeVeque, Staff Writer

It’s not how you start; it’s how you finish.

That theme recurred throughout the 2018 junior high football season and was on full display again on Friday, September 28 as the Badgers scored 22 points in the fourth quarter to run away from the Fort Benton Longhorns by the score of 36-13.

At 1:46 of the first quarter, quarterback James Lewis ran for a 10-yard touchdown and added the two-point conversion to give Cascade an 8-0 advantage.  Neither team scored in the second quarter leading to the same 8-0 Badger lead at halftime.

Neither team could get anything going in the third quarter until linebacker Connor Sawyer recovered a Longhorn fumble with 1:05 remaining in the quarter.  Almost immediately, Lewis threw a 20-yard pass to receiver Caiden Sekuterski that put the Badgers at the five-yard line.  Lewis then handed the ball to halfback Trey Skelton for a touchdown run that made the score 14-0.

Fort Benton cut into the Badger lead with a touchdown at the beginning of the fourth quarter.  With only a touchdown lead at 14-6, Cascade turned up the intensity and buried the Longhorns.

In the Badgers’ next series, Skelton took over.  He rumbled for 30 yards before being tackled at his team’s 20-yard line.  He followed that big run with a 20-yard scamper to the end zone with 5:35 remaining in the game.  Lewis then hit Sawyer for the extra two, giving the Badgers a 22-6 lead.

After a poor possession for Fort Benton, Cascade marched back down the field and scored an unconventional touchdown when Sawyer threw a touchdown pass to Lewis for a 28-6 Badger lead.

Fort Benton mounted a solid drive and scored its final touchdown of the game, cutting their deficit to 15 at 28-13.

After Fort Benton recovered an onside kick to reclaim possession of the ball, Cascade finished the game in style as Lewis intercepted a Longhorn pass on the first play of their drive.  Skelton then tagged on his third touchdown of the game on a 25-yard run with 1:59 remaining.  Lewis hit Skelton for the two-point conversion, and the Badgers celebrated a 36-13 homecoming win.

Cascade finished its season with a 54-6 loss to Belt, but the potential of the upcoming high school players was on full display during a 5-2 season that saw several huge wins over Shelby, CJI, Rocky Boy, Simms as well as Fort Benton.