The Ketochi

Cascade FFA Celebrates Year’s Achievements at Annual Banquet and Pie Auction

Parents and students look on as Cascade FFA adviser Eric Tilleman speaks at the 2018 FFA Banquet.

Photo courtesy of Eric Tilleman

Photo courtesy of Eric Tilleman

Cassy LaFromboise, Staff Editor

The Cascade FFA has been actively inducting new officers, welcoming new members, and accomplishing great achievements for 88 years. On Thursday, May 3, the Cascade FFA officers hosted their annual awards banquet to recognize their yearly accomplishments. The banquet kicked off at 6:30 p.m. in the Cascade High School’s old gymnasium with the traditional opening ceremonies performed by the officer team. After the opening ceremonies, the chapter sentinel, Riley Bricker, performed invocation and chapter president Kelli Ober proceeded to dismiss the hall for dinner.

Dinner was catered by Mike’s Addictive Barbecue, where Mike himself served hand sliced brisket and delicious pulled pork sandwiches. FFA members brought sides and desserts to compliment the dinner.

As members and guests finished their meals, a slideshow highlighting the year’s past events was played. The slideshow was put together by chapter reporter Cassy LaFromboise, who also made a senior tribute slideshow that was shown later throughout the night. Members laughed and remembered their fun FFA trips and volunteer service activities.

Next, chapter advisor Eric Tilleman presented students with certificates for their awards at state convention. Awards for state are listed in the previously written Ketochi article “Qualifying Cascade Students Attend 88th Annual Montana FFA State Convention,” and can be found at Ketochi.com.

Class leadership awards went to freshman Caybree Ludvigson, sophomore Riley Bricker, junior Jean Blackman, and senior Kelli Ober. Mr. Tilleman also presented the “Workhorse Awards” to seniors Calder Ludvigson and Alex Kline for always staying busy and working on multiple projects throughout the year. Mattison McKamey received the Star Greenhand award. Kelli Ober received Star Farmer, Cassy LaFromboise received Star in Agribusiness, Trent Cox received Star in Agricultural Placement, and Jean Blackman held the title of Star in Agriscience. Lastly, Trent Cox also received the Dekalb award, which is presented to an agricultural student for exemplifying outstanding qualities in the FFA.

An emotional senior tribute slideshow was shown to the audience. The seniors were addressed by Waylin Finley, the president of the Cascade FFA Alumni, and given their official alumni membership key chains. This year’s senior members will be dearly missed by all.

Scholarships were presented to members of the senior class, which included the Antelope Butte FFA scholarship for the amount of $1,000 to Thad Phillips, Cassy LaFromboise, and Savannah Spurzem. LaFromboise and Ober also received the $5,000 Herb Waltermire Scholarship.

Thirty-five out of 55 FFA members were awarded for having a 3.0 GPA for at least three quarters of the school year. Cascade FFA statistics showed that the Cascade volunteerism value is 13,962 hours. Freshman Carynn Fredrickson received a certificate for having the most volunteer hours in her class, which was 22. Riley Bricker had the most hours of the sophomore class at 30 hours, Jean Blackman had a whopping 225 hours, and senior Calder Ludvigson had 189 hours. Miss Blackman was also the top seller for fundraising within the chapter. The Cascade FFA Chapter has a total of 15,000 hours for net earnings of $81,000. The total ending asset value is $175,231!

Once the awards were over, the annual pie auction was underway. The officer team walked around with delicious homemade pies brought by new and old officers. Mr. Cox was the auctioneer for the evening. A total of $2,400 was raised from the auction, which is the highest amount ever raised at the pie auction.

Finally, the 2017-2018 officer team stepped down and inducted the new officer team. The 2018-2019 officer team is: President – Jean Blackman, Vice President – Riley Bricker, Secretary – Elise Crago, Treasurer – Ryan Bogden, Reporter – Taylor Brown, Sentinel/Historian – Caybree Ludvigson. The new officer team performed closing ceremonies and the night concluded.

Thank you to all who attended the FFA Banquet!

About the Writer
Cassy LaFromboise, Student Editor

Senior Cassy LaFromboise is now in her third year as a staff member of The Ketochi and will serve as the student editor this year.  She loves eating...