The Ketochi

Badgers Looking to Improve on 2-6 Start

Badger senior Trent Cox readies himself for the opening tip in a recent game against Heart Butte.

Ketochi photo by Cassy LaFromboise

Ketochi photo by Cassy LaFromboise

Brooke Hanson, Staff Writer

On December 15, the boys traveled to Augusta to face the Elks. The two teams spent all four quarters going back and forth with scoring, but the Badgers ended with a 63-62 victory. Sophomore Dillon Shipp, who played very well in the game, stated, “We didn’t play well in the first half, but we got our stuff together and pulled through.”

Shipp scored a career-high 25 points in the game, while fellow sophomore Ryan Bogden added 17, and senior Calder Ludvigson drilled 12.

“It was a really close game,” added Badger head coach Roger Hatler.  “Augusta’s improved a lot with the addition of some new kids, but we’re really happy to get a win on the road.”

The Badger’s next game was on December 16 when they made the trek to Sunburst to take on the Refiners. Unfortunately, even though Cascade kept things close in the first half, Sunburst pulled away in the second half for an 87-62 victory.  Ludvigson scored a team-high 22 points, followed by Bogden with 21 and senior Ryder Jackson with 10.

“It’s good to see that we can play with a team that good,” said Ludvigson.

Coach Hatler described how the boys played really well, stating that “Sunburst is really good.  They’re one of the best in the district, but I’m very happy with how well we did.”

A week later the boys played Great Falls Central Catholic. Despite playing well during the first two quarters, the Badgers fell 78-63 to the Mustangs.  Shipp again led the Badgers in scoring with 19 points, followed by Bogden with 12 and Ludvigson with 11.

Senior Trent Cox was proud of their efforts but explained that “It was an off game for everyone.  The execution wasn’t there when we needed it. The other team played really well, and we just couldn’t match it.”

Coach Hatler added, “We played really well the first half, but they got hot, and we couldn’t respond.  There were bright spots during the game.”

After a long winter break, the boys started back up with two away games. Their first one was against the Power Pirates, in which they took a loss with a score of 67-56. Coach Hatler was proud of how the boys played during parts of the game but also gave credit to how Power played as well.

Hatler added, “We’re getting better, it’s frustrating because we’re not getting over the top, but we will.”

Junior Kolton Lynn also had something to say about their game, “We worked really hard, we just couldn’t come out with the win.”

Ludvigson scored 19 for the Badgers followed by Bogden’s 12.

The next day, January 5, the boys were on their way to Simms to take on the Tigers. After a loss from the night before, the boys were determined to get a win. But sadly they lost 64-55.

The trio of Bogden, Ludvigson, and Shipp again led the team offensively with 19, 12, and 11 points, respectively.

“Our defense was lacking, and our execution could’ve been better,” said junior Ty Tweten, “but, overall, we played a good game.  We’ll get them next time.”

“Simms was kinda like Power, we had good stretches but we weren’t able to stop their three-pointers,” said Hatler.  “We’re all looking forward to playing both teams at home. These kids are working hard, and we’re not giving up.”

About the Writer
Brooke Hanson, Staff Writer

Senior Brooke Hanson decided to join the Ketochi staff during the second quarter of the 2017-18 school year. She loves to enjoy a big bowl of chicken alfredo...