The student news site of Cascade High School

The Ketochi

Badgers Blow Past Tigers in Simms Game

Senior Calder Ludvigson (10) speaks to teammates Kolton Lynn (52) and Kyle Evans (55) during the Badgers recent rout of Rocky Boy.

Ketochi photo by Cassy LaFromboise

Ketochi photo by Cassy LaFromboise

Cassy LaFromboise, Student Editor

On Friday night, October 6, the Cascade Badgers football team played Simms in a game that would either end the Badgers’ season or allow it to continue.  If the 58-14 final score was any indication, Cascade made it known that it wasn’t time to complete the season.

This was a great victory for the Badger football players. Quarter one consisted of sophomore Ryan Bogden making a 10-yard touchdown reception from quarterback Josh Pepos. Calder Ludvigson completed the two-point conversion with a throw from Pepos.

On the defensive side of things, Pepos, Kyle Evans, and Jeremey Carpenter all made 9 assisted tackles during the game. Evans also made two sacks throughout the night. The quarter score was 14-8, the Badgers in the lead.

Moving into quarter two, the Badgers kept pulling ahead of the Tigers. Unfortunately, Thad Phillips was pulled from the game due to a pulled hamstring. Many underclassmen stepped up to fill older players’ shoes after they were injured for the game.

Third-year head coach Jay Fredrickson said that he was “proud of all the players who stepped up and came in when others got hurt. Our backup punter came in and there were quick snaps of the ball. Having Jackson come in the second half helped out a lot.”

The end of quarter two score was in the Badger’s favor, 30-8.

After a lengthy halftime, Ryder Jackson stepped into the game and caught a 40-yard touchdown pass from Pepos. The two-point conversion afterwards was made as well. Simms’s defense was unable to stop the Badgers at any point in the game, and the third quarter ended with the Badgers up by the score of 44-8.

Before the Badgers wrapped up their victory, they made two more touchdowns and a two point conversion. Simms also made one more touchdown before the game concluded. At 58-14, the Badgers celebrated their victory by catching Coach Fredrickson in their huddle after one of his legendary “back flips.”

The team is now preparing to play Great Falls Central Catholic in order to gain a spot in the first round of the state playoffs.

“As far as looking toward Central, they gave the number one seed in the district the best game out of anybody this year,” said Fredrickson.  “They’re big, disciplined, and have good athletes. We are starting to peak at the right time, I think, and getting healthy. If we win, we play the next week, and if we lose, we pack up the next Monday.”

The Badgers will play against the Mustangs on Saturday, October 14  at 1 p.m. in Great Falls. Be sure to go cheer them on!