The Ketochi

Lady Badgers Fall to Longhorns, Mustangs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior libero Brooke Hanson looks to make a play during the Lady Badgers match in Fort Benton on September 7.

Ketochi photo by Cassy LaFromboise

Ketochi photo by Cassy LaFromboise

Ketochi photo by Cassy LaFromboise

Raija Buley, Staff Writer

On Thursday, September 7, the Lady Badgers traveled to Fort Benton to play the Longhorns for the teams’ first meeting of the season.

The ladies were shaky to begin the match, hitting poor serves while the Longhorns killed the Badgers with their serves.

Senior Captain Brooke Hanson stated, “We started out very flat in the first set, not really coming out with intensity. By the end of the set we were ready to come into the next set fighting.”

After the first set ended with a Fort Benton victory of 25-17, the Badgers competed but came up short because of small little errors, but they were not done yet. The girls picked it up the second set and committed few errors. The Lady Badgers won the second set ending with a score of 25-19. The third set was hard and long for the badgers with little errors but the other team had little errors also, ending with a score of 29-31.  In the third and final set, the girls played well but could not get over the hump in a 25-20 final-game loss.

Assistant coach Karsen Drury, who his filling in while head coach Christa Hardy is out on maternity leave, stated that “The game against Fort Benton was a very high energy game and the girls brought a lot of heart and intensity on to the floor. They played with exceptional accuracy and really showcased their knowledge and talent for the game.”

Stats

Digs- Raija Buley 10, Ashtyn Schlotter 9

Blocks- Kaicey Oliver 9, Ashtyn 4

Aces- Savannah Spurzem 2

Kills- Kaicey Oliver 7, Ashtyn Schlotter 4

On September 9, the Lady Badgers had their first home game of the 2017-2018 season against the Great Falls Central Catholic Lady Mustangs. The Badgers came out flat and not very excited for their first game, but that didn’t stop them from coming back in the first set.

The first set was slow for the Badgers but they came back into it before dropping a 25-20 decision.  The second set didn’t go so well for the Cascade.  The ladies couldn’t get their serve receive in order, and Central capitalized with a 25-10 victory.  The third and final set ended with another Mustang victory by the score of 25-16.  Although the girls tried to fight back, Central had too much for them on this night.

“We went in the opposite direction this game,” said Drury.  “We came out flat, which translated into making silly mistakes and not preforming to the best of our abilities. It was a great reminder that being mentally prepared for a game is essential.”

Even though the matches didn’t end how the Lady Badgers wanted them to, there are many more battles to come.  Cascade travels to Augusta on Friday night and returns home to host Dutton-Brady on Saturday.  Come and support your Lady Badgers!

About the Writer
Raija Buley, Staff Writer

Senior Raija Buley is now in her second year as a member of the Ketochi staff.  She enjoys gnawing on thick, juicy steaks, watching Blake Griffin and...