The Ketochi

Orlando, Here We Come!

Cascade BPA members perform well at state

Official BPA logo

Official BPA logo

Quincy Balius, Student Editor

The Cascade chapter of Business Professionals of America (BPA) left on Saturday, March 11 at one p.m. to head to Billings in order to compete at the State Leadership Conference. They checked into a hotel some five hours later and spent the night settling in and preparing for their events the next day.

On Sunday, the conference really kicked off. Students woke up as early as five thirty to make the drive to the campus of Montana State University-Billings campus, where they hustled back and forth from three different buildings in the twenty-degree, snowy weather. Events began at nine and continued until four. For most, a quick lunch break was their only time to rest until they left the campus at four p.m.

The Cascade chapter rested for an hour, then headed out to Red Lobster and Olive Garden for dinner. They came back for session at seven and listened to motivational speaker Ryan Moran talk about the attributes and conduct of a leader, as well as leadership itself. His talk was followed by a standing ovation, a rare event for BPA state speakers.

The state candidates, including Cascade’s own Kelli Ober and Becca Gerard, made their first speeches at session as well. The quick speeches outlined their personalities and goals for the year. That night, a campaign rally was held in order to encourage voting, with candy and poster boards galore. Students straggled back to their rooms around eleven, exhausted from the day, and fell asleep quickly.

The next morning, students finished up events from nine until noon. Workshops also dominated the day and included topics such as leadership, dance, and safety. The Cascade chapter, as a group, attended the Special Olympics walk and rally to promote respect and understanding of special needs people. They then took their annual trip to the mall to shop around Billings and eat dinner.

Next, the members who had received their statesman’s awards went to the Torch Award ceremony and ice cream social. The Torch Awards, presented during the session after the social, honor those who have accumulated fifty points in the categories of service, leadership, patriotism, love, hope, faith, friendship, knowledge, and cooperation. The students from Cascade who received their statesman’s Torch Awards were Kennadi Shumaker, Krystal Nilsen, Ashtyn Schlotter, Jayson Fredrickson, Megan Smith, Zach Douglas, MacKenzie Wombold, Kendra Anderson, Mike Roach, Georgia Mortag, Payten Zenahlik, Krista Cope, Jenny Taylor, Becca Gerard, and Kelli Ober.

The state candidates presented their longer speeches, and those who had placed in open tests received their awards.

The BPA dance also took place that night from nine-thirty to eleven, and the Special Olympics Links of Love chains were displayed.

Tuesday finished out the conference. The last session included the presentation of awards for judged and team events, as well as various scholarships and professional awards. The Cascade chapter received the Silver Star award, which honors chapters who exemplify student, chapter, and community development.

Becca Gerard served as the state vice president and Kelli Ober the state secretary for the year, and both planned, managed, and led the conference. Kelli Ober was reelected to a state officer position as state membership director. At noon, Cascade packed up and left for home.

Those who placed in their events at state were:

Quincy Balius: 1st in Business Law and Ethics, 3rd in Management, Marketing and Human Resources, and 10th in Business Meeting Management

Kelli Ober: 2nd place in Parliamentary Procedures Team, 3rd in Financial Analyst Team, and 8th in Human Resource Management

Becca Gerard: 2nd place in Parliamentary Procedures Team

Zach Douglas: 2nd place in Parliamentary Procedures Team

Kara Lorance: 2nd place in Parliamentary Procedures Team

Jayson Fredrickson: 2nd place in Parliamentary Procedures Team

Payten Zenahlik: 2nd place in Parliamentary Procedures Team, 6th in Computer Security, 3rd in Network Design Team

Brooke Hansen: 3rd in Financial Analyst Team

Ashtyn Schlotter: 3rd in Financial Analyst Team

Tristan Stockton: 3rd in Financial Analyst Team, 9th in Graphic Design

Kaylee Todd: 4th in Fundamental Word Processing and 4th in Computer Animation Team

Sam Faulkner: 4th in Computer Animation Team

Kennadi Shumaker: 5th in Intermediate Word Processing

Kaden Hankins: 3rd in Computer Network Technology, 3rd in Network Design Team and 5th in Computer Security

Daniel Benefiet: 3rd in Network Design Team and 3rd in C++ Programming

Seth Gutierrez: 5th in C++ Programming 

Kelsey Lappier: 10th in Economic Research Team

Kaicey Oliver: 10th in Economic Research Team

Emilee Carpenter: 4th in Digital Media Production

Jenny Taylor: 6th in Administrative Support Research Project

Ashley Wilson: 7th in Global Marketing Team

MacKenzie Wombold: 7th in Global Marketing Team

Georgia Mortag: 7th in Global Marketing Team

Riley Bricker: 9th in Website Design Team

Taylor Brown: 9th in Website Design Team

Tori Weiss: 9th in Website Design Team

Ryan Bogden: 5th in Computer Animation Team

David Le: 5th in Computer Animation Team

Dillon Shipp: 5th in Computer Animation Team

Congratulations to all who placed and those who will be advancing to Orlando in May!