The Ketochi

Get Glam with ipsy

This is a review of this month's Glam Bag from the makeup subscription site ipsy.

Courtesy of ipsy.com

Courtesy of ipsy.com

Quincy Balius, Student Editor

ipsy is a subscription service where members (called ipsters) pay $10 per month and receive a unique monthly bag with five special samples and full-sized beauty products. It’s geared more toward makeup, but you can also receive hair care products, nail polishes, and makeup tools. You start off by filling out a beauty questionnaire that details your skin, face type, preferred products and style, and eye and hair color, then review the products you receive each month to make your beauty profile more specific to you.

Editor’s note: As part of the Ketochi’s new Beauty section, there will be a review of this makeup bag each month. 

Seraphine Botanicals Guava Butter

This product was a bit different than what I’m used to wearing. It’s a lip and cheek stain, so you can use it as a lip color or blend it into your cheeks for a deeper version of blush. It smells absolutely wonderful, and the shade is pretty. However, I had a lot of trouble getting it to actually stay on my lips. I’d recommend setting this with a powder or possibly trying a lip liner if you don’t want it to wear off. In terms of a blush application, it’s a little dark for me, but it is very soft and stays on well. It retails for $24.00 on the Seraphine site, which is high for the product, but I would buy it again. 8.5/10.

Tarte Tarteist Mascara

The Tarte Tarteist mascara that I received in this month’s bag was a small sample of the typical 0.23 ounce size, which retails at Sephora for $23.00. When I first put it on, it was a gorgeous pigment and made my lashes very full and dark. However, it does tend to clump with longer eyelashes (I’m still in search of a mascara that won’t clump up my lashes, though). It smudges a little throughout the day, but actually has great staying power.

In conclusion, not the best stuff I’ve ever used, but certainly not the worst. 8/10.

Dr. G Daily Safe BB in Fair

As someone with oily skin, I tend toward not using too much face makeup. My go-to is definitely a light BB cream, so I was excited to get this product this month. Dr. G Daily Safe BB in Fair is a pale shade that mixes well with light skin tones. I started with a moisturizer and layered the cream on top of it. It’s definitely very light and comfortable. It looked great in the morning, but gradually wore off throughout the day and didn’t reduce redness as much as it claimed to do. It retails for $32.oo for 45 ml on the Dr. G website. I may buy it again, but for now I’ll stick to my Maybelline BB cream. 7.5/10.

ulta3 Nail Polish in Sizzling Red

This polish is a bright, vibrant red — think a lipstick shade for a heroine in a summer blockbuster. I used one coat, and the polish definitely held its own and had a gorgeous color. I actually used it for Decade Day for homecoming since it matched the ’50s aesthetic for which I was going so well.  It did chip a little after a few days, but a coat of clear polish fixed that problem. Personally, I love the stuff. I’ve been trying to find a good red polish for a while, and I’m a big fan of this one. 10/10.

Living Proof: Perfect Hair Day

This product is a 5-in-1 meant to give your hair “smoothness, volume, conditioning, strength and polish,” as the Living Proof website puts it. Since I have short hair, I typically don’t use a lot of product. I usually shampoo and condition my hair, then use leave-in conditioner and a spray to prevent breakage and promote shine. I used this product on top of my usual leave-in conditioner and spray, and it smoothed out my hair and volumized it a little. The biggest benefit was the texture and shine it gave my hair. It made my hair super soft and shiny without being greasy. The second time I used it, I used it alone, and it definitely helped with volume as well as shine and texture. This product retails for $27 for 4 ounces or $15 for 2 ounces, and I’d definitely use it again. It may become a new part of my hair arsenal if I can justify using yet another hair product for less hair than most girls have. 9/10.

In conclusion, this month was a great ipsy bag. I’ll definitely be buying the nail polish when I run out, and I might go for the hair product and mascara as well.

If you want to sign up for ipsy, use this referral link: https://www.ipsy.com/new?cid=ppage_ref&sid=link&refer=ymkkf to earn points to buy your own choice of makeup!