The Ketochi

Bozeman Meet Breaks Boundaries

Junior high cross country runners (l-r) Aubrey Shipp, Tristan Grimes, and Carter Casavant pose before the race.

Photo by Jeff Grimes

Photo by Jeff Grimes

Quincy Balius, Staff Editor

On the sunny, warm afternoon of September 10, the Cascade Badgers cross country team ran its second meet of the season in Bozeman.

Due to scheduling conflicts, most of the team was unable to come to the meet. However, juniors Christina Eike and Quincy Balius ran, as well as much of the junior high team (Carter Casavant, Tristan Grimes, and Aubrey Shipp).

The course in Bozeman is a harder one to run. It is held on a golf course in the suburbs of the city, and there are many, many hills to traverse. In the first half mile of the race, there is a large hill followed by two smaller ones that exhausted many of the quick-starting runners. For those who have a speedier finish, there are three or four rolling hills in a row just before the finish line that are absolutely brutal.

In addition, the terrain of the course is grass that is neatly trimmed for golfers, but is rougher on cross country runners. There isn’t much traction or stability, and the grass is often wet and slippery, making it even tougher to run.

Neither the varsity nor the junior high team had enough runners to place as a team, but their individual placings were good.

Eike ran the three-mile course in 22:55 and placed 29th out of 82. Balius ran a 26:22 time and placed 69th.

Casavant ran the 1.5 mile course in 10:15 and placed 31st out of 60 and Grimes 13:24 and 56th out of 60. Shipp ran in 14:55 and placed 44th out of 50.

This was the first meet of the season for Balius, Grimes, and Shipp, who put in a good deal of work in practice season before running this meet.

Coach Grimes said, “It was a good first effort for the first-time runners and for the others. The goal now is to keep getting better!”

Cross country isn’t exactly a spectator sport, but Cascade graduate and former Ketochi staff writer Jensen Knaub attended the meet, as well as new elementary principal Ms. Hathhorn.

Keep on running, Badgers!