The Ketochi

Final Concert of the Year Shows Vast Musical Talents

Sophomores (l-r) Josh Pepos, Trent Cox, and Zach Douglas perform at the spring concert.

Photo by Quincy Balius

Photo by Quincy Balius

Quincy Balius, Student Editor

As the year draws to a close, there are a lot of lasts to experience: the last big test, the last party, and even the last day of school. One last that we hope you didn’t miss, however, was the last concert of the year — the spring music concert .

The concert, led as usual by band and choir director Jeff Skogley, took place on Monday, May 1 at seven p.m.

For band seniors Kordell Keen, Lydia O’Brien, and Skye Hickam, as well as choir seniors Allison Gates, Tommy Le, and the multi-talented Lydia O’Brien, this concert isn’t just the last one of the year; it’s the final one they’ll ever perform in high school. This left the performance feeling bittersweet for many musicians.

“Choir has given me the opportunity to open up and express myself in a unique way. Leaving that memory behind is difficult, but I’m excited to perform in choir at University of Montana-Western,” said senior Allison Gates.

Regarding her band experience, O’Brien said, “I feel sad because I’ve been doing it since fifth grade, but I’m looking forward to advancing my musical skills in the future.”

The opening number, The Star Spangled Banner, was performed by the high school choir.

The fifth grade band played Mexican Clapping Song (Chiapanecas), a Mexican folk song; Morning by Edvard Grieg; Cossack Dance, a Russian folk song; Basic Blues, a blues theme; and Ode to Joy by Beethoven.

Fifth grader Wyatt Balius said, “I was really excited about playing Ode to Joy because it’s really fun, and all the instruments blended together and sounded really good.”

Eighth grader Riley Bricker solo’d Arkansas Traveller on the violin, and the jazz band played Martian Square Dance by Sorenson and Pearson.

The sixth grade band played The Saints Go Marching Again; Surprise Symphony Theme by Haydn; La Cucharacha, a Latin American folk song arranged by John Higgins; and School Spirit by W.T. Purdy and arranged by Higgins.

Freshman Mikayla Douglas performed Rosamunde on the flute, and the Kickin’ Brass ensemble, made up of sophomores Trent Cox, Josh Pepos, and Zachary Douglas, played La Rejouissance.

The junior high band performed D.S. March by Higgins, Serengeti (African Rhapsody) by Higgins, and Stand Up and Swing by John O’Re.

The high school choir performed two songs: Candle on the Water (the theme from the classic Disney movie Pete’s Dragon) by Kasha and Hirschhorn and arranged by Lojeski, and This Old Hammer, a folk song arranged by Neil Ginsburg. The National Choral Award, a prestigious award presented to one senior in choir each year, was given to

O’Brien played Come to the Sea on the contra alto clarinet. The concert band finished out the event with Condacum (Confluence) by Jan Van der Roost, Dedicatory Overture by Clifton Williams and arranged by Jay Bocook, and Hogan’s Heroes March by Jerry Fielding and arranged by Eric Osterling.

The John Philip Sousa award, an award presented to the most valuable senior in band each year, was presented to O’Brien, while the National School Choral Award was presented to Gates.

Skogley said, “The band did especially well on Hogan Heroes March, and the soloists played excellently.  Everyone did great.”