The Ketochi

Students Find Their ‘Why’ at Entrepreneur Day

Quincy Balius, Student Editor

On October 8, 2015, Cascade joined over ten other schools at Montana State University’s annual Entrepreneur Day. The college’s business section, the Jake Jabs College of Business and Entrepreneurship (JJCBE), holds this day every year to contribute to the “economic development of the state and provide a framework for an outstanding educational experience for students.” A group of Cascade High School students, many from the school’s chapter of Business Professionals of America, woke up early and traveled dozens of miles to attend this day.

To begin the event, students were split into groups and participated in an icebreaker to get to know other students better. They were assigned cards and told to make the best poker hand possible. The team that made the best hand was awarded a prize.

Some students divided into groups and followed tour guides out of the ballroom on a tour of campus. Others stayed and took part in a workshop using balloons that helped them to connect with each other and provoke teamwork and creativity.

When the students on the campus tour returned, others went and toured the campus. Then both groups returned and listened to a presentation by an MSU Bozeman graduate who now runs a business called Kendall’s Peaches that supplies peaches to Bozeman, followed by a keynote lecture by Brie Thompson. The MSU graduate is the founder and president of the company Olivelle, which provides specialty oils and vinegars and cooking classes to the Bozeman area. She spoke on confidence and how to start up your own business amidst the challenges of everyday life, as well as finding your ‘why’ to motivate you.

Finally, students participated in a challenge where they built a tower as high as possible out of paper, cups, and coffee stirrers.

“[Entrepreneur Day] taught us that there’s more than one way to be an entrepreneur,” said sophomore Kelsey Lappier.

Although the drive may have been long, the gains were high at Entrepreneur Day.