High School Track Holds Annual Top 8, Participates in Pre-District Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cascade's track athletes look to continue program's tradition.

Image from tpm-m.org

Image from tpm-m.org

Image from tpm-m.org

Madison Cope, Staff Writer

The Cascade High School Badger track team headed the Top 8 meet that was held in Great Falls on April 30. They also attended another meet in Great Falls on May 3.

On April 27, Cascade held the 27th Annual Cascade Top 8 meet. Coach Hardy would like to say thank you to everyone that helped out at the meet and made it a successful event.

“Truly, I think it was one of the best and most competitive ones yet,” said Hardy.  “The qualifying times and distances were high this year, the meet went off without a hitch and the weather cooperated. ”

To qualify for the Top 8, an athlete must rank in the top 8 competitors in his or her event. The entries are taken from a pool of schools from the Northern C Division and schools who were part of our old Class B District.

Cascade had seven athletes participating and both girl relay teams.  Both Shelbie Jackson and Kaitlynn Lummer placed in this meet. Jackson took fifth in pole vault, and Lummer took sixth in the 3200m run. The girls 4 x 100 relay went into the meet in seventh place and came out with a third place medal. The girls 4 x 400 also placed third in the district and sixth in the divisional. Both relay teams have a good chance of making it to state.

On May 3, the girls took fourth overall. Ten girls and two boys placed. For girls, freshman Emilie Crago took first in triple jump, second in long jump, and fifth in the 400m dash. Fellow freshman Lily Grismer took third in high jump, fourth in the 100m dash.  Sophomore Shaylyn Evans placed fifth in the 200m dash and pole vault, and classmate Lexi Mortag placed fifth in the 3200m.  Lummer placed third in the 3200 and sixth in the 1600.  Sophomore Lindsey Faldzinksi took fifth in javelin, and Jackson took sixth in 100 hurdles and fourth in pole vault.  Senior Mackenzie Wombold placed sixth in javelin. The girls’ relay teams took fourth place.

For boys, Reese Mortag and Kolton Lynn were the only placers. Lynn placed fourth in shot put, and Mortag finished sixth in high jump.  The boys’ 4 x 100 relay team took sixth place.

Fourteen people set a new personal record (PR) for themselves. For girls, Emilie Crago: triple jump and the 400m dash, Lily Grismer: high jump, hurdles and pole vault, Ava McKamey:  200m and 400m dash, Shaylynn Evans: 200m dash and pole vault, Lindsey Faldzinksi: javelin and shot put, Elise Crago: 400m, Kaitlynn Lummer: 3200m and 1600m, Mackenzie Wombold: shot put. For boys, Preston Hastings: 300m Hurdles, Josiah Mazaira: javelin, discus, Reese Mortag: high jump, Max Hardt: long jump, Riccardo Samoggia: long jump, Kyle Evans: discuss.