The Ketochi

Junior High Lady Badgers Grab Three Wins at District Tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kodiann Lynn drives in for two against Great Falls Central.  The Badgers dropped a heart breaker to the Mustangs, 27-25.

Kodiann Lynn drives in for two against Great Falls Central. The Badgers dropped a heart breaker to the Mustangs, 27-25.

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait

Kodiann Lynn, Staff Writer

The junior high Cascade Lady Badgers basketball team went into the district tournament as the eighth seed with a 1-4 record.  In just one tournament, the girls managed to win three games, which improved their season record to 4-6.

Cascade 25, Sunburst 22

The Lady Badgers came into the tournament determined to come out better than they went in, and they did. The Badgers played the Sunburst Wildcats their first game going into tournaments. The game started with a low scoring first quarter ending with the Badgers up 8-5. The Badgers defense stayed tight as they held the Wildcats to only one point in the second quarter, starting halftime with a score of 12-6. The Lady Badgers ended the game only winning by three points, 25-22.

The Lady Badgers only scorers were, Kodiann Lynn with 16 points, Alaina Barger with five, and Harlie Jackson and Sallie Orem both adding in two.

Power 23, Cascade 21

On Thursday, the Lady Badgers played the number one seed, the Power Pirates. The girls knew that going into the game it would be a rough and bruising game, but they believed that they could win.

The first quarter was tight with an ending score of 6-6. When the second quarter came, the Badgers weren’t as warm as the Pirates and it stayed that way until the fourth quarter. The Lady Badgers ended the third quarter down by 10.

As the fourth quarter started, the Lady Badgers bench started to cheer on the players a little more. With three minutes left, Barger hit a three-pointer that sparked the rest of the players. For the next three minutes, the Badgers never stopped scoring with every possession they had. The Lady Badgers had the game tied with 17 seconds left, but, unfortunately, the Badgers committed a foul, and the Pirates made both free throws. The Badgers ended the game with a devastating 23-21 loss.

The top scorers for the game were Lynn with 14 points, Barger with four, and Makaela Pribyl with three.

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait
Eighth-grader Harlie Jackson makes a pass against Great Falls Central last weekend.

Cascade 53, Dutton-Brady 14

After the loss, the Badgers had their heads high heading into the next game against the Dutton-Brady Diamondbacks. The Badgers hadn’t played the Diamondbacks earlier in the season, so they didn’t know what it would be like.  Luckily, it was an easy game. The Badgers started out strong ending the first quarter 15-1. The Badgers kept the lead throughout the whole game and never looked back, ending the game with an outstanding score of 53-14.

The top scorers were Preslee Carroll and Sophia Mortag with 10 each, Pribyl with six, and Lynn adding in five.

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait
Cascade guard Preslee Carroll drives to the hoop against Great Falls Central last weekend.

Cascade 27, Great Falls Home School 26

After the phenomenal win, the Badgers got some food and focused on their next game against the Great Falls Home School Bulldogs. The Badgers once again started out quick and held the Bulldogs to only two points in the first quarter. In the second quarter, the Badgers slacked off on defense but kept it going on offense, starting halftime tied 11-11. Throughout the second half, the score battled back and forth, but the Badgers came out with the win of 27-26.

The top scorers were Pribyl (10), Lynn (5) and Sallie Orem (5).

Ketochi photo by Ashley Tait
Alaina Barger looks to hit a jump shot against Great Falls Central at last weekend’s district tournament.

Great Falls Central Catholic 25, Cascade 23

The Lady Badgers came back the next morning ready to put on a show and hopefully win third place. The Badgers played the Great Falls Central Catholic Mustangs, hoping to avenge a loss from earlier in the season. The whole game was battle with the score and it just came down to who wanted it more.  Sadly, the Mustangs were the ones. The game ended with a devastating score of 25-23.

The leading scorers for the game were Lynn with 10 and Kayla Satterwhite with seven.

“The girls lost two games by a total of four points and that was a tremendous improvement, especially entering the tournament in eighth and coming out fifth,” said head coach Christa Hardy.

About the Writer
Kodiann Lynn, Staff Writer

Eighth-grader Kodiann Lynn was born on December 5, 2004, to Ryan and Debbie Lynn.

Kodiann's only sibling is her brother Kolton, who is a senior this...