Track Athletes Travel to Havre for First Meet

Sophomore Caybree Ludvigson rises on the pole vault at the recent Havre meet.

Photo courtesy of Christa Hardy

Madison Cope, Staff Writer

The Cascade Badgers track team traveled to Havre on April 3.

The track team didn’t have many people competing in Havre due to the State FFA Convention in Bozeman, but there were 700 athletes in total, which meant a lot of competition for the Badgers.

For boys, sophomore Josiah Mazaira had the best throw in the javelin for Cascade with 100 feet. The coaches were very proud of him because this was his first-ever meet. Freshman Caden Crowell placed ninth out of 30 in the discus for Class C athletes. Italian exchange student Riccardo Samoggia and Cascade sophomore Kaden Shelton tied for tenth place for Class C athletes. Head coach Christa Hardy believes that both Shelton and sophomore exchange student Max Hardt will become great jumpers when they are able to practice more on their form.

The girls had a good first meet for the season. Junior Shelbie Jackson cleared three heights in the pole vault, and sophomore Caybree Ludvigson cleared her first bar for the first time this season. For Ludvigson’s first javelin event this season, she placed tenth out of 25 in Class C. Shelbie also placed 8th in the 100 and 300 hurdles.

“It was really good to finally get a meet in and now we know where we need to be and will get some more event work,” said Hardy. “There has been very little work on events done at practice due to weather, but we are getting in shape!”