Cascade Elementary Celebrates Dr. Seuss Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cascade elementary students gather to read Dr. Seuss books during their celebration.

Photo courtesy of Siobhan Hathhorn

Photo courtesy of Siobhan Hathhorn

Photo courtesy of Siobhan Hathhorn

Alaina Barger, Staff Writer

In Dr. Seuss’s famous classic Horton Hears a Who, the popular author wrote one of his most famous lines: “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”

That line seemed appropriate for Cascade Elementary’s annual Dr. Seuss Day, as our school’s smallest people celebrated the life and works of America’s most beloved children’s author.

If Theodor Seuss Geisel were still alive today – which would be highly unlikely – he would have turned 115 years old.  Unfortunately, he passed away in 1991.

The day’s activities included the older students reading Dr. Seuss books to the younger students. The students also had the option to dress up as one of the many creative characters Seuss has invented. PTA also generously provided funding and prizes, mostly including Dr. Seuss’s books. The prizes were awarded randomly in a raffle throughout the day.

“It’s really a celebration of literature and a fun way to get students excited to read,” stated elementary principal Siobhan Hathhorn. The best part of the day for Hathhorn was seeing all the children dressed up as their favorite Cat in the Hat characters.

Kindergarten teacher Sharon Stevens did most of the planning and even led some dances with the students. Art teacher Christa Hardy taught art classes in celebration of Theodor’s accomplishments, including paintings of Cat in the Hat.

Dr. Seuss Day is a tradition that all the kids look forward to. Cascade has celebrated Theodor Geisel for many years and is going to continue celebrating him in the years to come.