Student Teacher Feature: McKenna Quinn

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Teacher Feature: McKenna Quinn

Montana State University senior McKenna Quinn is currently student teaching in English here in Cascade.

Ketochi photo by Sydney Gutierrez

Ketochi photo by Sydney Gutierrez

Ketochi photo by Sydney Gutierrez

Sydney Gutierrez, Staff Writer

McKenna Quinn is a new student teacher at Cascade.  She is spending her 14-week experience under Cascade English teachers Nancy McGonigal and Ashley Tait.

Quinn teaches 7th Grade English, 8th Grade English, Media/Yearbook, English III, and English IV.

She was born on May 7, 1996 and is currently 22 years old. She has a younger sister and a loving mother.

Her mother worked as a teacher for most of McKenna’s life, but she now works for Great Falls Public Schools as its curriculum coordinator. McKenna also grew up in Great Falls, Montana. She has many hobbies and is excited to become a teacher.

Some of Quinn’s hobbies include reading, crocheting, watching TV, and being with her family. She can also be seen listening to pop or acoustic music while eating popcorn because it is her favorite food. Her favorite sports team is the Pittsburgh Steelers. She also participated in many activities during her time in school.

When she was younger she attended C.M Russell High School in Great Falls, and she graduated in 2014.  During her time in high school, she participated in volleyball, basketball, softball, yearbook, and student government. Her favorite subject during her time in high school was her art class; however, she enjoyed English as well. When asked if she struggled with English, McKenna answered, “I was lucky enough to have people like my parents and grandparents encourage me to read and write, so English has always come easily to me.”

After graduating from high school, she began attending college at Montana State University in Bozeman where she realized that she wanted to become a teacher.

“I enjoy building relationships with students and being able to watch them succeed,” said Quinn.  “I like how English can naturally connect with the world and student’s own experiences and interests.”

When asked if she enjoys teaching the students here in Cascade, she responded, “Of course! I feel so lucky to be here because of how wonderful the students and staff are.”

Quinn will finish her experience in April and then start searching for her first teaching job.